About Me

My photo
I've seen a fox wedding after a sun shower and climbed ruins in Burma. I think I'll be in trouble if they ever catch me.

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

What's the point when I don't write?

I almost forgot I even had a blog. From September until now has been a whirlwind. I can honestly say that 2011 was the hardest year of my life. 2012 rolled in and brought an extreme amount of change in my life, there was a lot of letting go, moving on and starting new. Now as the new school year starts here in Asia, I can honestly say that for the first time, I feel like I am where I need to be doing exactly what I've always wanted. And being at the start of a fresh new chapter feels amazing.

I celebrated all the change with a trip to Burma. Being a solo traveler, maybe some folks would choose somewhere less.... junta controlled? Who knows. Who cares. For the naysayers, only one thought comes to mind, and since my mother taught me that if I can't say something nice, don't say anything at all, I will be skipping commentary.

BURMA is a beautiful country with the most amazing people I've ever encountered. Full of love and honesty, and contagious on every level. At the start of my trip, I realized how distrustful I had grown of people in general, and being surrounded by caring and loving people was just what the doctor ordered. From the moment I stepped off the plane, I was greeted by people who were willing to help, even after I declined their tour guide service, or taxi ride. They still hung around and asked me if I needed help and gave me an amazing amount of useful information without expecting anything in return. Before I left the airport, I was already in love with the place and people. Yangon is a mess of traffic, food stalls and a mix of growing economy with ancient relics sprinkled here and there. I had the most amazing breakfast buffet at the White Horse Guest House, and if you ever find yourself in need of place, I recommend that place. The rooms are nothing spectacular however the food and kind host made a bunch of us weary travelers feel rejuvenated within an hour of arrival. The owner ushered us up to breakfast where heaps of travelers were already eating a buffet of fruits, breads, vegetables and a spread of jellies that I didn't even know existed. All with a fresh cup of coffee. Oh man. Walking around Yangon during the day was a great way to unwind and there was no particular rush as there is not an overwhelming amount to see. I'd say it was a perfect amount.

Riding north to Bagan, I saw a mix of developed and undeveloped.  I am curious to see how the country grows and changes over the next ten years as a new form of government comes into power. Arriving in Bagan, we were again met with the kindness of strangers who walked with us at 4am to our hostel to make sure we got there. When we found our hostel full, we found the same people waiting outside to see if we needed help. They found us clean rooms for a great price, and reminded us to sleep before the festival started.... who were these people. Just locals hanging about, with a desire to help a stranger. Bagan is a maze of old pagodas that you could probably wander for a week without feeling like you've seen enough. Sunsets from the rooftop of pagodas, children calling out to play, eager locals wanting to take pictures with you. I didn't even want to leave.

The long bus rides packed with no A/C is always a downside but when you get to meet 50 new people who all want to exchange travel tales, you hardly care that you're legs are stuck together from sweat and heat. They warned us it was hot.

The small towns and villages may not have many "tourist attractions" but they people and lifestyle will keep you entertained for two weeks easily. You'll be thinking to yourself 'where did the time go? I don't want to leave!!!' before you know it.

Of all my travels, Burma will remain a tender place in my heart. It will change I'm sure, but I hope the kindness and warmth I encountered in the Burmese people, and the tranquility that each place brought does not change.

No comments:

Post a Comment